Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Go West Young Men Went West




Today was a big day in the trip because it marked our first day in the furthest point north and west we will be going in our trip. For you that may not seem like a real big feat but considering how long this trip took to plan and all the things that fell into place, its pretty remarkable for us to look back and realize how far we've come.

Before I get started on the day, I just really have to vent about west coast showers. Yes, west coast showers. If you have any idea what I am talking about when I say that you probably understand the frustration they can cause. Ever since we arrived on the west coast, we've noticed that the showers are seemingly made for little people. When I say little people I mean kids, midgets, and the vertically challenged. At first I thought this was a one house situation but the more we travel the more I realize that people somehow manage to wash their hair and upper body while crouching down (or at least thats how I assume they make it work.) To comfortably fit in these showers a person must be a maximum of 4' 5''. Seriously people, how does this make any sense? Do they really want to conserve water that badly that they design showers in a way that makes them uncomfortable and thus unused?

Anyhow, today was a nice yet rather relaxed day. After rising from bed around 10 I set out to the park across the street for a run. I really enjoyed getting out and running today but my stomach, lungs, and legs didnt really enjoy it much. We then set out to explore the city of Portland and all it had to offer us. Although we didnt get very far, we did end up at the biggest book store I had ever seen. Powell's bookstore took up an entire city block and contained over a million books. We spent 3 hours in the book store before we finally dragged ourselves out...but not before making a few purchases.

We proceeded to spend the next 4 or 5 hours doing nothing back at our homestay. Doing nothing is a great thing. If you havent done it lately, give it a try. Around nine we decided we wanted to have some excitement. We slowly but surely made our way to the video store and the grocery store to pick up a movie, cookies, ice cream, and root beer. Sure those may not be healthiest things in the world but we are going to be home in less than a week now and Im sure I'll have my fill of whole grain noodles and veggies in no time.

Tomorrow is a big day...We are headed to 2 interviews that we have been looking forward to for quite some time. Adidas and the Portland Trailblazers. Better get some shut eye.

Later days,

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment