Monday, May 18, 2009

Not all those who wander are lost- JRR Tolkien

We have completed our first day travel and have officially begun our 3 week adventure across America. Today was spent entirely in the car as we made the trek from Grantham, PA to Rockford Illinois. Below are a few of the highlights from today's ride.

1) We saw an Asian lady driving a tour bus from Texas. With all racial stereotypes asides, that s just something you dont see everyday. A lady driving a tour bus is one thing but an ASIAN LADY?!?!?!....FROM TEXAS!!

2) In scarier events today, but only by a small margin- An Ohio Cop pulled over a truck that was driving directly in front of me today. Now by no means do I have a perfect driving record as far as speed goes so I was a bit nervous. Considering today was the first day of the trip, I wasnt really looking forward to a ticket. As I passed the cop on the side of the road going 71 in a 65 I was pretty confident that I was not in danger. Looking in the rear view mirror as I always do when I pass a cop I noticed that he had pulled out behind me. I calmly moved to the right lane and filed in amidst the traffic. Then came the lights. Although I was pretty sure I was okay my stomach did tie itself in a bit of a knot. Luckily the guy in front of me took the fall instead of us.

3) Quote of the day: JD in reference to the distance we were trailing his parents on the way to his house. "I wouldnt say we are gaining on them, more like inching or drawing nearer." Now I am no linguistics expert but I dont think drawing nearer and gaining on someone are too different.

4) Oversight of the semester: We failed to locate or secure a GPS for the trip. Looks like our map reading skills will be put to the test.

Up Next: A morning plane ride along the Greater Chicago Skyline and the Lake Michigan Shoreline. After that we will head to Kansas City for Monday evening and Tuesday morning to conduct an interview with some people at NAIA headquarters.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing worse than the feeling you get in your stomach when you think you might be getting pulled over. It's amazing how quick it can set in.

    Also, we should have brought your parents' GPS, I think it's only been used once! But this does seem a bit more authentic without it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something worse than the feeling you get in your stomach when you think you might be getting pulled over.......when the lights are really intended for you and you see the officer approaching your car!! Glad it wasn't you Brett! Praying for your safety. My dad used to say that the guardian angels get out when you go over the speed limit, although he was known to speed a time or 2.

    ReplyDelete